Accessible Page Links

Page Tools

Main page Content


Maryborough in 1880 was a prosperous town. Agricultural exports were booming, immigrants were flowing into the area and many new industries had been established - Walkers Engineering Works, Hyne’s Sawmills, Fairlie and Sons Joinery Works, Gas and Coke Works and Steindl’s Brewery in Granville. With the growth of the town, there was a demand for a school of higher learning. In 1876 a ten acre block bounded by Kent, Fort, Sussex and Ferry Streets was reserved for school purposes. The Grammar Schools Act of 1860 allowed any municipality which raised ₤1000 by private subscription could claim a ₤2,000 grant from the government to establish a Grammar School and ₤500 a year for running costs (later increased to ₤1000).

A fund to establish a Grammar School in Maryborough was started and by 1876 over ₤1,493 had been raised. Anyone who subscribed at least ₤5 was entitled to vote to elect trustees.

We are proud of our tradition

The school badge, the school motto and school colours were the original coat of arms for the Maryborough Grammar School and have been retained.
The Latin Motto - Non sine pulvere palma - No prize without effort
“The motto conveys the classical idea of striving to be excellent and is a reminder that success can be achieved only by strenuous effort or raising a dust - certainly not by mere social influence or favouritism.” (Percy Reginald Stephenson, former student, 1915 - 1918)

The School Badge and colours 

The Southern Cross is the symbol for the great south island. The quill and open book symbolise scholarship. The blue and brown school colours were adopted from the 47th Battalion.